Friday, January 18, 2008

Jon Carroll and I: A couple of guys sitting around talking!

In a theater, no less - the Berkeley Rep! And for a good cause - a school benefit (Park Day, in Oakland). My guess is most people will be there to hear from the Chronicle's No. 1 columnist and a guy I truly admire, but as the structure goes, he's actually interviewing Your Favorite Local TV Critic. Oooooh. I hope he doesn't know about any of my skeletons (shorty robes, a love of "ALF," the fact I barely watched much television before I got the job...I swear, if this turns into a Gitmo waterboarding thing, I'm outta there...).

It's all part of the school's "In Conversation Series" and I'll be lowering the bar substantially by kicking it off (Carroll will interview Leah Garchik in March). But the cool thing is, hey, we're in an actual theater. That could be fun. And I promise to be alert (Diet Coke!), smarter than what is normally on display in these blogs and informative. (Oh, Jesus, I just made Diet Coke come out of my nose on that last one!) At least I'll have some good stories. You don't do the Death March with Cocktails for a decade and come back story-less, my friends.

I'm thinking this is going to be a lot of fun. I'm also a tad nervous. That Carroll knows his television. Perhaps he'll grill me about history? He watches more reality television than I do - so he knows my weakness. Hmmmm. Must prepare.

So, yeah, we're going to do this thing. It should be entertaining and it could even be interesting, Perhaps I'll reveal some intimate personal things about myself (long walks on beaches, herbal tea, horses...uh...). Anyway, Carroll's a pro. I'll bet he's got some good questions. Young children will benefit. And it will probably be the last time I'm on the other side of the interview chair in an actual theater. (Note to self: Bring camera.)

The interview takes place Wednesday, Jan. 23 at Berkeley Repertory's Thrust Theater, (2025 Addison Street, Berkeley; there's a parking garage on the same block if you've never been to the Berkeley Rep). Show starts at 7 p.m. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. It's open seating, so arrive early if want to get a good look at my Hugo Boss suit. Yeah, that's how we roll. (More gems like that on Wednesday night!)

Tickets are $25 ($18 if you're a student with an ID) and can be ordered online here. Hope to see you there.

11 comments:

Frances said...

Tim

You are right that Jon Carroll is very popular. However lots of us are coming to see you! I hope you can riff on The Wire ....

CasualObserver said...

I'm (to paraphrase Woody Allen)nowhere near Berkeley. Do you think you could get Carroll on your podcast, ever? Assuming you'll still be speaking to each other after the 23rd....

ppage said...

Good idea about a Carroll podcast.....

Was that a Hugo Boss suit at the JCC?

You were great at the JCC & you'll be great at Berkeley. Maybe you two can start another blog. TGJCTV. Or as Jon Carroll would say, JCTGTV. Say that 5 times fast on the podcast. I bet you can't.

George D from the 415 said...

For the Love of GOD could you do something when I'm not across the country?

ppage said...

Tim,
Could Bernie do some manning of the knobs & put your conversation with Jon Carroll up as a podcast?

suzyq2 said...

I second Bernie manning the knobs. I just got back from a visit to the Bay Area and can't swing another one so soon as much as I'd love to be there. You and Jon together is catnip to this cougar (I'm not sure if I'm actually in that feline's age range category but you catch my drift).

George D from the 415 said...

echoing the call for a podcast, if you could do it with Colbert, why not Carroll.

BettyBee said...

PLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEASE PUT IT UP ON YOUR PODCAST - I READ BOTH OF YOU DAILY - I HAVE A CAT {THAT'S A GOOD THING AS FAR AS JON IS CONCERNED!} I LIVE IN VANCOUVER, BC & CAN'T MAKE IT ON SUCH SHORT NOTICE!! & LAST BUT NOT LEAST, THE 23RD IS MY BIRTHDAY!! PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE!

ipxl said...

I was in the front row last night and a couple times thought I might need to jump up on the stage and join you. I think that if I'd looked around we would've looked like a sea of nodding heads. I feel I deserve recognition though. Everyone I talked to was there because they'd gotten an email from Park Day. I was there BECAUSE I READ YOUR BLOG EVERY DAY.

Your fabulous fan,

Tim Goodman said...

ipxl - thanks for coming out. We had a great time up there, even if the chair was profoundly uncomfortable. I met some other folks who came out via the blog. I should have given you guys some free wine...

As for the podcasting, it was very unlikely. The Colbert thing was a special project of the Chronicle folks and late in the game I couldn't rally to make this happen with Benny or anyone else (too much was going on). So I apologize for that. Hopefully I'll be out and about more often. Not sitting on a Berkeley Rep stage, mind you (which was pretty cool) but somewhere, some time...TG

BettyBee said...

Is there a write-up about it somewhere for us fans who couldn't make it? A transcript? A recollection? A faded memory?